Saturday 3 January 2015

Book Review: Horns By Joe Hill

Title: Horns
Author: Joe Hill
Genre: Thriller
Rating: ****1/2
Blurb: Once, Ig lived the life of the blessed: born into privilege, the second son of a renowned musician, the younger brother of a rising late-night TV star. Ig had security and wealth and place in his community. Ig had it all, and more- he had the love of Merrin Williams, a love founded on shared mutual daring, and unlikely midsummer magic.

Then beautiful, vivacious Merrin was gone- raped and murdered, under inexplicable circumstances- and Ig the only suspect. He was never tried for the crime, but in the court of public opinion, he was and always would be guilty.

Now Ig is possessed of horns, and a terrible new power- he can hear people's deepest, darkest secrets- to go with his terrible new look. He means to use it to find whoever killed Merrin and destroyed his life. Being good and praying for the best got him nowhere. It's time for a little revenge, it's time the devil had his due.
Review: This book is now one of my all time favourites. Though not for the fainthearted, Joe Hill has produced an excellent novel. I brought this book because ,just before, I had seen the film trailer of Horns. The storyline drew me in and I'm glad I went through with buying it.

The story follows Ig who is on  a desperate mission to find out who raped and murdered his girlfriend, Merrin. However, Ig is possessed with a power so he can see people's deepest and darkest secrets. This serves as a slightly entertaining part of the novel, where people can't help but spill their ghastly secrets to Ig. The storyline is completely original and I can't fault Joe Hill's writing whatsoever. Also, which I love in a novel, the story has a dramatically, twisted ending. I highly recommend this to people who love horrors/thrillers or just a completely different, twisted novel. I am yet to watch the film version.

Age Rating: 15/16+

No comments: